September 24, 2008

Kodama

Kodama are Japanese Tree Spirits... A kodama (木霊, 木魂, or 木魅, kodama?) is a spirit from Japanese folklore, which is believed to live in certain trees (similar to the Dryad of Greek myth). Cutting down a tree which houses a kodama is thought to bring misfortune, and such trees are often marked with shimenawa rope.



I recently joined a Swap to create a Kodama stuffie for your partner. Now, I am not really into anime or any of the Japanese characters from anything, however I thought as creepy as they kind of look, I REALLY wanted to make one and send it to someone and recieve one from them in return. It can be made of any soft material/style you would like to make... felt, fabric, knit, amigurumi, etc. and It's an International swap, which means I could possibly be paired up with someone from another country. SOO Cool... And I am so excited to see their interpretation. I of course - needing something to do these last 2 -3 days have already made mine haha. Well I found the perfect yarn (it's white but it's whimsical) and all i need to do is get some black felt and sew the eyes and mouth on the Kodama I made. It's about 10" tall. I added "fake (w/ photo program)" eyes and mouth to it so you can see what it will look like once I get the felt and sew it on.

2 comments:

Grammie/Mom said...

Gee Beth, that turned out pretty good! I like how you stitched the arms and legs into the body.

Colleen said...

If Olivia doesn't show up soon, your house is going to be crawling with little crocheted critters.